On September 22nd, 2020, the U.S. Dept. of Justice, Southern District of New York granted a Summary Judgement against Mt. Vernon for illegal discharges into the Hutchinson River. The Hutch is most affected by pollution, sewage discharge, and illegal dumping. This is a major victory for the people. HRRP will be participating in a virtual meeting with State Senators Alessandra Biaggi (SD34), Jamaal Bailey (SD36), and Mt. Vernon Mayor Shawyn Patterson-Howard on Oct. 28th for updates and progress in remediating the problems.
Here is what the court ordered Mt. Vernon to do:
- Track down and identify all sources of illicit discharge for impaired storm sewer system outfalls, and eliminate all sources of illicit discharge;
- Perform necessary construction and repairs for impaired outfalls;
- Complete inspections to ensure detection of future illicit discharge;
- Obtain the necessary equipment, staffing, and funding to comply with its Clean Water Act and permit obligations;
- Develop an updated storm water management plan;
- Perform a sewer system evaluation survey of the sanitary sewer system to identify possible discharges of sewage and develop a sewer system corrective action plan; and
- Submit periodic reports to EPA and New York’s Department of Environmental Conservation.